Monday, June 27, 2011

Turn, Turn, Turn

On another blog that I follow (Genea-Musings), the blogger does a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post.  This weekend's was to locate the #1 song on the day you were born, or some significant day in your life.  I didn't recognize the #1 song for my date of birth (Near You, by Francis Craig), so I checked for my 18th birthday (surely I would recognize a song from then, right). 

It was 'Turn, Turn, Turn' by The Byrds.  The words to this song were adapted from the Bible (the book of Ecclesiastes):


To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late.


Such a wonderful mantra for a young woman starting her adult life.  As I look back now, at 63 years, I think of all those times - of love, of hate; of war, of peace; of gains, of loses; of dancing, of mourning; sowing and reaping.... My life has been full - I've experienced so much. 

The song became a plea for world peace in the time of the Vietnam War, but song writer Bob Seegar donated 45% of the royalties for the song to the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions, because, in Seeger's own words, "[in addition to the music] I did write six words." 

Do you want to see what song was #1 on your birth date or when you turned 18?  Go to this website (http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1), fill in your desired date, and see what comes up.

P.S.  Do you hear that rumble in the distance?  That is the Baby Boomers - they are getting ready to retire.  On January 1st, 2011 the very first Baby Boomers turned 65.  Millions upon millions of them are rushing towards retirement age. 

No comments: