Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Poem "Where I'm From"

Another Saturday Night Genealogy Fun

WHERE I'M FROM

I am from pine tree covered mountains capped with snow, from Eddy's Bread, Jif, homemade jam and fresh whole milk.

I am from the sawmill company tract home... small, portable like the sawmill and filled with laughter and love.

I am from Calochortus nuttallii (the sego-lily) covering the hills behind our house, the Philadelphus lewisii (Syringa or mock orange) that lined the highway we took from isolation of the mountains to the 'big city.'

I am from timber fallers and blue eyes and red hair, from Alexander and Thomas and Weaver.

I am from large families and adventurous risktakers.

From cows that are pastured on hills have longer legs on one side than the other so they can walk around the side of the hill and that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that has continued to elude me.

I am from non-denominational congregations in quaint country chapels with music and prayer, baptism in a friend's swimming pool.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest, Irish, British and German, mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy.

From the thirteen Logue brothers from Ireland that turned out to be just large families all the way back to the 18th century, the connections with that famed ship loaded with pilgrims, and the possible relationship to Matoaka (better known as Pocahantas).

I am from cedar chests, cardboard boxes, backup harddrives and Family Tree Maker.

         The portable sawmill on the Middle Fork of the Payette River where we moved in 1956

No comments: